- "I'll never be anything more than a wealthy queen of a fabulous faraway kingdom...it's my destiny."
Princess Tiabeanie Mariabeanie de la Rochambeaux Grunkwitz, also known simply as "Bean", is the main character of Disenchantment. She is the 19-year-old princess of Dreamland and the daughter of King Zog and Dagmar, princess of Maru and the half-sister of the King Derek.
Bean is the first and only daughter of the King Zog and Dagmar.
Dagmar conceived Bean in order to make her fulfill a prophecy and pay off a debt Maru owes to Hell.
When Bean was only 5 years old, Dagmar decided get rid of Zog so she and Bean could return to Maru by turning him into stone by poisoning his wine but Bean accidentaly switched the glasses when she was trying to reach for the grapes that were served along with the wine, which resulted in Dagmar turning into stone instead. Sometime later, Zog married Oona, a princess from Dankmire in an arranged marriage as part of a deal to have a canal built for Dreamland. Bean stated that she was so jealous of her stepmother that she placed a dead owl in their wedding cake and the guests ate it anyways.
Bean's half-brother, Derek, was born immediately after the wedding and he became the heir to the throne. Bean strongly resented Derek for this as well as Derek being able having more privileges than her and being able to do all the things she wanted to do such as sword fighting or horse riding.
Bean's handmaiden, Bunty, raised her and did her best to make Bean happy to the point of allowing Bean to mount her like a horse so that she and Derek could do horse races.
At the age of nineteen, King Zog arranged for Bean to be married off to Prince Guysbert in order to form an alliance between their kingdoms and made her wear her mother's wedding dress for the wedding. Bean originally resigned herself to it and reluctantly followed through with the wedding until she changed her mind and refused to marry the prince.
Princess Bean usually wears a cyan tunic with white sleeves, brown leggings and tied dark brown boots. She is equipped with a belt with a silver buckle. Her hair is white (like her mother), and oversized eyes and ears (like her father). She has a round nose (like her paternal grandmother Bee-Baw), and freckles, buck teeth and an overbite.
Bean shows decent amount of fighting skills with various weapons and hand-to-hand combat. She learns her fighting skill through self-taught through various brawls at the taverns and throughout her misadventure.
Not a traditional princess, Bean is quite the opposite, actively rebelling against her father, Zøg, who has driven her to drink. She is frustrated by the limited life-choices available to her as a princess who is second in line to the throne. She resents the stereotypical role of a trophy Queen - which is to have heirs and forge alliances in a loveless union - and refuses to marry the eligible princes presented to her (Guysbert and Merkimer) which would force her to inhabit this role. Her three wishes are to be in charge of her own destiny, get her mom back (obviously) and to find a boyfriend who is a great listener. She is may seem irresponsible, rebellious and cynical, but is surprisingly 'normal' for a princess.
Prior to being magically paired with Luci. and finding the companionship of Elfo, Bean had no friends - not even bridesmaids for her wedding. Her companions were her drinking buddies from the pubs she frequented. As such, most of her relationships are familial. The trio of Bean, Elfo and Luci are the main focus of the misadventures in the show.
Dagmar is Bean's biological mother. She supposedly died 15 years ago but she was in fact turned to stone by a magic potion. After she was revived she quickly bonded with Bean over their mutual interests such as drinking.
Zøg is Bean's father and King of Dreamland. Bean has a difficult relationship with him as he is scared of female emotions and hates how Bean is always getting into trouble and refuses to behave like a proper princess while Bean has no respect for him due to his selfish nature but she still loves him and wants to make him proud. When Zøg sees Bean leave with her mother for Maru Zøg is furious at Bean's supposed betrayal and attempts to kill her when she returns but Bean manages to talk him out of it.
Oona was Bean's stepmother until she and Zøg divorced. She is apparently not interested in Bean although she did try to give Bean "The Talk" when Bean was going to be married off to Prince Guysbert and smiled when she and Zøg found out Bean was returning to Dreamland after going away on a mission. Bean dislikes her and doesn't care about her either. Their relationship took a turn for the worse once Dagmar was revived and Oona vows to get revenge on both Zøg and Bean. However, once she returns to Dreamland Oona claims she tried to give Bean love and forgives Bean for everything except for stealing her Oona's drugs. When Oona leaves with the pirates she offers Bean to come with her but Bean kindly refuses and the two part on good terms.
Derek is Bean's half-brother and heir to the throne of Dreamland. Bean finds Derek irritating and dislikes being with him. She generally seems to resent Derek for being born and becoming the heir to the throne when she is the older one, also being able to do the things she wanted to do as a child, she states that she knows it isn't his fault but still wishes he would die. However, despite all of this, she still cares for him.
Luci is Bean's personal demon (or daemon). Taking the form of a shadowy being who is mistaken for a talking cat, he is a curse which is cast on Bean by the mysterious Maruvian couple, Emperor Cloyd and the Enchantress. (Bean is as yet unaware of their existence and role in her life). Luci often talks Bean into doing bad things like stealing, drinking or taking drugs but he seems to care about her as he showed concern for Bean when she was mourning Elfo's death.
Elfo is one of Beans closest friends (along with Luci) . He is very loyal to Bean and he would do anything for her. Elfo met Bean when he left Elfwood in search of an adventure and they were inseparable until his death. He is half elf half other species (we do not yet know what his mother is). Elfo has a crush on Bean however, it is not reciprocated even though Bean cares for him deeply and was heartbroken when he died.
Bunty is Bean's nanny and Lady-In-Waiting. She raised Bean in place of her ostensibly deceased mother and seemingly uninterested stepmother. Bean seems to be fond of her while Bunty is always there for Bean when she needs help. When Bean was growing up Bunty did anything to make Bean happy including letting Bean mount her as if she was a horse. When Bean as falsely accused of trying to murder Zøg, Bunty is convinced Bean is innocent and apparently persuaded her husband to let Bean escape. According to Stan, there is nobody in the world Bunty loves more than him and Bean.
- 1. "A Princess, an Elf, and a Demon Walk Into a Bar"
- 2. "For Whom the Pig Oinks"
- 3. "The Princess of Darkness"
- 4. "Castle Party Massacre"
- 5. "Faster, Princess! Kill! Kill!"
- 6. "Swamp and Circumstance"
- 7. "Love's Tender Rampage"
- 8. "The Limits of Immortality"
- 9. "To Thine Own Elf Be True"
- 10. "Dreamland Falls"
- 1. "The Disenchantress"
- 2. "Stairway to Hell"
- 3. "The Very Thing"
- 4. "The Lonely Heart is a Hunter"
- 5. "Our Bodies, Our Elves"
- 6. "The Dreamland Job"
- 7. "Love's Slimy Embrace"
- 8. "In Her Own Write"
- 9. "The Electric Princess"
- 10. "Tiabeanie Falls"
Bean is the central protagonist of the series. Matt Groening designed her to look "unlike any cartoon princess you've ever seen before." He has further stated "she is unconventionally beautiful, but I think audiences will fall in love with her." The character came about after a decade of Groening researching old classic fairy tales, where it was the women and children who were strong characters while the men were weak willed. Bean is designed to represent the genre's original paradigm.
Abbi Jacobson improvised a number of Bean's lines.
- Game of Thrones (2011-present): Bean's platinum-blonde hair is likely a reference to the white hair of Daenerys I Targaryen. Furthermore, Dagmar family back in Maru has a curse of madness in which also can be based on the Targaryen Madness in the bloodline of the House Targaryen.
- Cinderella (1950): Bean's wedding dress greatly resembles Cinderella's ballgown in the Walt Disney film of the same name.
- Her full name is Princess Tiabeanie Mariabeanie De La Rochambeaux Grunkwitz; however, she mispronounced her last name as "Drunkowitz" while heavily drunk on schnapps in "Swamp and Circumstance".
- According to Luci, Bean has blue eyes.
- Bean learns the art of stabbing from drunkards in the tavern.
- Bean fears she might succumb to the curse of madness and paranoia that is hereditary from her mom's family.
- Like her mother, her favorite "food" is beer and loves the smell of wet grass.
- ìBean likes to party, and consumes the recreational drugs snake root, bread mould and a hallucinogen called "Bliss".
- Given this reference to hallucinogens, the bread mould reference is likely to be connected with ergotised rye. Albert Hoffman synthesised LSD from this fungus.
- Her name Tiabeanie sounds similarly to narcotic called thebaine.
- Dagmar, have Bean her great-grandmother Mariabeanie's name as her middle name. It's also possible that Bean was named Tiabeanie so that her name would rhyme with the name Mariabeanie as well.
- It is implied that Bean could have a dislike or hatred toward pigs because she called them dumb.
- Bean: All this wedding hassle for a stupid political alliance! I thought that I'd get married for true love, or because I was wasted..." - S01E01
- ↑ Season 1, episode 12: "Stairway to Hell"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Bean's full name is Princess Tiabeanie Mariabeanie de la Rochambeau Grunkwitz, not "Drunkowitz" - she just called herself that while drunk. Grunkwitz is Zøg's family name from the House of Grunkwitz (like House of Windsor or House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg)" - Twitter post of Josh Weinstein's verified account
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Burke, Justin. "Back to the Drawing Board." The Weekend Australian Review August 11-12. 2018. Pages 8-9. Print
- ↑ Dreamland Falls
- ↑ Matt Groening on why he didn't want to reference GOT mashable.com